Site – One website running wordpress
Network – Group of Sites
Multisite – Group of sites that use same wordpress Install simultaneously.
Why do we need multisite?
This is normally for people who run multiple sites on wordpress.
- Superadmin can login in once and manage all sites together
- Themes and Plugins are stored once. This saves lot of space. All themes & plugins can be updated from one place.
- Share users across sites
- Important use cases & Examples
- Single person managing network of blogs/websites
- Set up a network that allows others to create their own sites
- Eg of business that need multisite:
- News sites that require dedicated site for each topic
- Large businesses that require dedicated site for each business vertical
- Dedicated site for each Franchise chain location
- Dedicated site for each department in university/school
- Real life examples
- Newyork times
Cases where there is no need (or not posible) to use multisite
- Running site in different languages
- When sites are on different hosts
- Giving subsites their own IP/database
- Running staging, developmental or main sites of different clients by web developers
- Security – If you get hacked, all sites are vunerable
- Point of failure – if main install breaks all sites get affected
- Admins have reduced capability
- Multisite has server requirements that are not provided by ll hosts
Service Providers for multisite
- Jetpack Manage
WordPress: Single Site Vs Multisite
Differences in Dashboard
New Dashboard for Super Admin: Role above admin only found on multisite with special permissions to
- Download & Install Theme
- Download, Install & Manage plugins
- Add new site
Difference in file structure
- wp-config file is different
- Separate folders on uploads directory to manage files for different sites withing the multi-site network
Difference in Database
It has separate tables for each site so content could be different
Getting Started with WordPress Multisite
Organizational Structure for WordPress Multisite Setup
The multi site network can be set in 2 different ways.
- Sub Directory Organization Structure: The sub sites reside on folder inside the root folder eg.
- Sub Domain Organizational Structure: The sub sites resides on the sub domain eg.
Steps for Setting up WordPress Multisite
View Our Video to See Step by Step Guide to Setting up WordPress Multisite
- Video 1 – Setup MultiSite on a new Site
- Video 2 – Setup Multisite on Existing Site
More to Come.
- MANAGING THE MULTISITE NETWORK (p11)
- Installing themes & plugins on wordpress Multisite
- Managing Themes on multisite install
- Plugin Management on Multisite Setup
- Updating components of WordPress Multi Site
- Network settings
- BEST & MOST HELPFUL PLUGINS FOR WORDPRESS MULTISITE
- Multisite enhancements
- WordPress MU domain mapping
- User Role Editor
- User Switch
- WP Migrate DB Pro
- Yoast SEO
- WP Super Cache
inbitsCo improves digital experiences for websites and applications built on WordPress. The company’s premium services to manage wordpress and improve the performance, reliability and security of big business wordpress websites while also remaining affordable and intuitive enough for smaller businesses and individuals.
Companies of all sizes may contact [email protected] for any WP Solution. We quickly solve technical problems of all sorts.